Currently, the Gametize app has limited capabilities on Huawei devices. We will recommend using the Gametize Lite app and the Web instead. Read on to learn more.
1. The lack of Android and Google Mobile Services for Huawei devices released after September 2019
All Huawei mobile devices released after September 2019 no longer come without Google Mobile Services, and that includes the Google Play Store.
Without the Google Play Store, you can no longer download the Gametize Android app like you used to be able to. There are several workarounds available:
- You can still access the Gametize using our Player web
- If you still like the native app experience, you can do a direct download of the Android APK - available for both Gametize and Gametize Lite (take a look at the Gametize App Store for more)
- If you prefer quick transfer, you can try the Phone Clone app (not tested by Gametize)
But, the lack of a platform for easy app download is not the only challenge here. Currently, the Gametize Android app also uses the following Google Services:
- Firebase - for push notifications, crash reports, and analytics
- Drive/PDF - for content embedding
Therefore, even if you are able to get hold of the Gametize app on your Huawei devices using the workarounds, many parts/functions of the Gametize app may not work as well.
2. Issues with using camera and gallery in the Gametize app for all Huawei devices
There are several functions in the Gametize app that require the use of the device’s camera and gallery. For example, completing Photo, Video, QR Code, and sometimes, Custom Form Challenge.
However, we’ve noted that for many Huawei devices, there are issues with using the camera and gallery features for image upload within the Gametize app. This is for reasons unrelated to the lack of Google Mobile Services. While fixes have been implemented, we are unable to verify the Gametize app's usability on a Huawei device.
3. Insufficient tests on Huawei devices
To date, we've yet conducted sufficient tests on Huawei devices to be able to identify other potential problem areas.
Therefore, with the above limitations, though unfortunate, the Gametize app is not supported on Huawei devices.
Our next steps
1. Exploring Huawei AppGallery
We are looking at the possibility of developing a version of the Gametize app that can be released on the Huawei AppGallery. Right now, we are assessing the feasibility of such a plan and if we have the resource capacity to do so.
2. Doing more tests on Huawei mobile devices
We currently do not have the resources to get hold of multiple Huawei mobile devices. Any tests done will be based on the few encounters we have with such devices. See below for some of the test results.
As of 3 September 2020:
NOTE: If you are an owner of any Huawei devices, we are happy to hear about your experience with the Gametize app on your device. Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com.