One plausible reason is that the Players registered an account with Gametize and logged in using the Facebook connect option, and subsequently interacted with game content. Due to the privacy settings on the Players’ individual Facebook accounts, the Gametize platform is unable to retrieve and display the email addresses. This is an issue specific to Projects with privacy toggled to public.
This login option is designed to provide convenience for the Players as they set up an account and interact with Gametize. However, there are some downsides:
- The Players will not be able to receive any email notifications - however, they are still able to receive and view the same set of information via in-app notifications (view via web / app)
- The Project Administrators will not be able to perform actions on the Players that requires the email address as the primary identifier, namely:
- Inviting the existing Project Player to a private Topic
- Adding existing Project Player to a Team
- Adding existing Project Player as a Project Administrator or Moderator
- Awarding bonus points
- Manually award an Achievement to a Player
- Redeem a Reward for a Player
- The Players’ email addresses field will not be populated in downloaded reports.
Below are 3 suggested approaches to resolve this.
- Approach 1 - Trigger an in-app notification to get in contact with the specific Player
- Approach 2 - Collect email addresses using a Challenge
- Approach 3 - Creating a private Project instead
Approach 1 - Trigger an in-app notification to get in contact with the specific Player
As a Project Administrator, you can trigger an in-app notification by commenting on any of the Player’s completions. In your comment, you should guide the Players to update their profile by inputting a valid email address. You may also reassure the Players that their data, including points, Challenge completions, votes, and comments, will be fully retained.
Below is a template message that you can reference:
Dear <Player’s name>, we have noticed that your account is lacking an email address for us to get in contact. Please do update your account information by inputting a valid email address, detailed instructions are here: https://support.gametize.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360001147691-Updating-Account-Information-as-a-Player. Be assured that your points, Challenge completions, votes, and comments will be fully retained. Thank you. - <Your name>, Project Administrator.
Approach 2 - Collect email addresses using a Challenge
You can design your Project, specifically setting up a Challenge, to collect email addresses from all your Players. Below are some guiding steps:
- Create an introductory Topic meant to collect Player’s information. You can name it “Tell us more about you!”.
- In that Topic, create an open-ended Challenge where the Players are able to submit their email addresses as completions (recommended: Standard Challenge or Custom Form Challenge).
- Input specific instructions in the Challenge description, making it clear to the Players to submit their email addresses. E.g. “Tell us your email address so that we can get in contact!”.
- Set up the Challenge to allow private completions by the Players only. This way, their email addresses will not be displayed to other Players in the Activity feed. You can reassure them by including this piece of information in the Challenge description as well. E.g. “Note that you email address will be hidden in the Activity feed, and not be displayed to other Players in this Project.”.
- Lock other Topics in the Project, so that they can only be unlocked when this introductory Topic is completed.
Approach 3 - Creating a private Project instead
In order for a Player to interact with a private Project, the Project Administrators would need to invite the Players via email addresses. Below are the guiding steps:
- Create a Project, and set it as private.
- Invite the Players to the Project using their email addresses.
- Inform and guide the Players to log out of the accounts associated with Facebook connect, and log in using the added email addresses.
- You may even include the guides to log out of their accounts associated with Facebook connect and log in using their email addresses by editing the Player invite email template (for new users).
For this use case, getting the Players to update their account information and input the email address will not work. Inviting the Player using the email addresses creates a separate account for the Player.
Please sign in to leave a comment.